Monday, May 2, 2011

Nervous Conditions

Nervous conditions was a very interesting book. I honestly do not read books at all, but this one kept my attention. Every chapter was great. I sometimes found my self wanting to read more, this is very unusual for me. The story had man y different issues as far as poverty vs. wealth, men vs, women, but the main problem that the author Tsitsi concentrated on was colonization. She compared true shonas to Africans who were raised in Britain. To me this was a big difference. In the story it even started to tear the families apart. Tambu who was raised shona, and Nyasha who was raised in Britain we two different people. Tambu who's is the main character was very respectful, quiet, smart, motivated and most importantly she was obedient. Nyasha was the complete opposite of her. This is a demonstration of how Nyasha has been colonized. I thought the entire story was great.

I can relate to this because even today being wealthy can change a person. I have a wealthy side of a family that has completely changed on how they look at people. They are very disrespectful and also stuck up. This side of my family has lost friends because of how they act ever since they made a lot of money. Today it is kind of hard to deal with because at one point we use to be really close to them. If i would have to say it after reading this story i would say they have been colonized and the rest of the family are like the shona's.

1 comment:

  1. The red highlighting is very interesting, hard to read, but certainly...pushing the boundaries of online text. However, I am glad to hear that the novel kept your attention. The distinction that you make between Tambu and Nyasha is good. It is true that wealth changes people's attitudes in strange ways.

    ReplyDelete